Re: Translating DocBook files

<quote who="Christian Rose">

> From my own translating experience, using po file format for documentation
> translation is most useful. It's not as much about writing the first
> translation, it's about maintaining it after that. Maintaining the
> translation of a raw sgml or xml file when the original author constantly
> rearranges, reindents, changes whitespace and the like is most painful.
> Translating as a po file solves all these problems.

One of the things Daniel hacked in for me was the idea of missed tags - I
think this is in CVS. Means you can keep various tags inline (such as
command, link, etc) and reduce your strings to pretty much para and title
blocks.

At the time, I wondered if doing it the other way around was better - by
defining the tags that should be kept as string blocks (ie. "anything in
a para tag is a single string").

Thoughts from Jonathan and the i18n dudes on this?

(Note that this work can be shared with the i18n work being done on the
website, so I will start begging for help on this soon!)

- Jeff

--
     GDK (acronym): GNU's Not Unix Image Manipulation Program Tool-Kit
                                Drawing-Kit.