Re: Lampadas Bugzilla, status update, roadmap

On Monday 12 August 2002 04:21 am, Christian Rose wrote:

> > > Our translation strings are all held in the back-end database after
> > > the initial install. They start out in XX.m4 files, where XX is the
> > > ISO code. We have scripts to walk these m4 files and generate SQL,
> > > which is used to insert data into the database. It would be
> > > unprofitable to convert to another architecture at this point,
> > > without a clear and strong benefit.
> >
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's necessary to keep
> > translations in POT format.
> >
> > >From what I understaqnd, if you can create a POT file either by
> > > using
> >
> > gettext itself or extracting strings in perl (this is what perl was
> > originally designed for :) then you can take advantage of gnome-i18n
> > and give the translators the POT files they're used to. More perl
> > could merge the translations back into your m4 files.
>
> This is basically what intltool does; maybe code could be stolen from
> there, or lampadas adopted to use intltool. No need to reinvent the
> wheel. ;-)
> The point 1) below isn't trivial, so I think the most fruitful effort
> would be to either use code from intltool, or use intltool for this.
>
> As long as there is infrastructure for
>
> 1) generating a valid pot file (i.e. valid header, no msgid duplicates,
> basically everything xgettext does)
> 2) correctly merging back the translations from the po files into
> whatever format you prefer
>
> then I think all requirements are met for smooth and efficient
> translation by the GTP.

Well that would be very nice, to have that help. I am cc'ing your mail to
the Lampadas list for Nico (who does our French translation) and Alex
(who does our German translation and our database scripting). That's
their part of the system, so they should make the decision how to
proceed.

- --
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david lupercalia net
Lead Developer                                 http://www.tldp.org

We all worship the black bean
Homage to our God Caffeine
Where there is life there is coffee
Where there is coffee there is life

Kenya, Sumatra, Mocha Java, French Roast, Colombian