Translating DocBook files

I have had a request from a gentleman in Korea who wishes to translate
the GNOME porting guide for a project he is doing.

How do people normally go about translating DocBook format documents at
the moment? I seem to remember some discussion about a year ago about
developing tools to extract out the relevant portions into .po files so
that translators could just go at it with their normal methods. Did
anything come of this?

Hopefully somebody on one of this lists can either offer some pointers
to appropraite techniques (hello Sun??), or just tell me that it all has
to be done manually.

Thanks,
Malcolm