Re: A thought:

On 27 Nov 2000, David C. Mason wrote:

> Jorge Godoy <godoy conectiva com> writes:
>
> > I don't know if I understood correctly what you said, but I was
> > proposing adding this to the existing Gnome DTD, not creating a new
> > one.
>
> Then there is the problem of 'which version of the GNOME DTD do you
> have?' - could get messy. I just think at this point (so close to
> moving to one of the 4.x series DBs that putting it in the template
> would be easier.

I think we should avoid changing the DTD if at all possible.
Technically, if you change the DTD, it is not "DocBook" any more.  Plus it
creates technical problems that we have all had in the past, trying to
make sure we have the special DTD installed properly.

One solution would be to use external entities which refer to a file which
gnome-core installs.  The problem with this is that we must provide either
the absolute or relative path to the entity.  No simple and elegant way of
handling this comes to mind.  (Unless we want to assume --prefix=/usr
which doesn't seem like a good idea.)

Another solution would be to say very little in this section and then
ulink to a seperate document which has all the real content (say
"Reporting Bugs in GNOME".)  The help browser will know how to find this
document so we don't have the problem we had with making it an
entity.  This is the simplest solution which comes to mind, aside from
just leaving the text in the template.

Dan