Re: Books or articles?

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 12:10:13PM +0000, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

> Does every piece of documentation that is going to be accessible
> from within a program have to be in book format rather than
> article format?
>
> I can't find anything saying so, but of the CVS modules I have,
> practically everything except white papers and a to-do list is
> in book format. So I wondered.

IMHO, there is *absolutely* no need to use "book" unless your document
is really long, such as users guide or FAQ. If people used book format
for documenting, say, gnome-terminal - apparently, they just didn't
think much about it, because their book consists only of one
chapter. I think, most of the docs better be reformatted as
articles. I am not a developer, but I can hardly imagine any
unsurmountable problems with linking to docs produced from "article"
source.

In the templates I am doing, I am using article style.

Sasha