Re: Books or articles?

Telsa Gwynne <hobbit@aloss.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> I was looking at this. And the other day I sent someone some
> DocBook for his applet which was in article format, not book
> format; and he said for some reason it wouldn't include itself
> when he built it. I'm reasonably sure it's valid DocBook: well,
> as valid as I get. jade accepts it happily and so on. Only
> thing I could think of was that perhaps it was because it was
> in article format.

This can only be a problem if the declaration in the document is not correct. For example:

if you want an article you put:

<!DOCTYPE Article PUBLIC "-//GNOME//DTD DocBook PNG Variant V1.0//EN"[
]>

<article>

blah

</article>

if you want a book you put:

<!DOCTYPE Book PUBLIC "-//GNOME//DTD DocBook PNG Variant V1.0//EN"[
]>

<book>

blah

</book>

Hell, if you want just a <sect1> you put

<!DOCTYPE Sect1 PUBLIC "-//GNOME//DTD DocBook PNG Variant V1.0//EN"[
]>
<sect1>

blah

</sect1>

Jade will parse all of these - no problems (if it is installed
correctly and the rest of the document is in order. In the way that
DocBook *should* be used - you should use a <set> for a collection of
more than one <book> - a <book> for an all encompassing document and
an <article> for, you guessed it, an article.

Dave

--

          David Mason
        Red Hat AD Labs