Re: new, little patch and some questions

Hi!

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 08:47, aurelien naldi wrote:
> Le mer 03/12/2003 à 10:13, Markus Bertheau a écrit :
>
> > > here are two little patch that allow the current cvs version of
> > > gnome-build to compile and scaffold to run make from the UI.
> >
> > Please use diff -u.
>
> sorry, here are corrected patches

Thanks for the patches.  I'll only comment on the gnome-build patch for
now.

The approach taken is not right.  Jeroen was the last person working on
the build infrastructure, but as I understand it the new API is composed
of:

- gbf_project_get_build_targets(), which will return a GList of
GbfBuildTarget, each entry with an id.  The returned build targets are
backend dependent.  It could include "all", "install", but also ids for
specific buildable applications or libraries in the project.

- Cleaning of the project tree is done in a separate function
gbf_project_clean(), and it's the only "build target" which is common to
all backends (ie. all of them must implement it).

- Building involves passing gbf_project_build() an id which was obtained
from gbf_project_get_build_targets().

So, to get it right, the changes needed are a bit more complex:

- For once, the GbfBuildType should be removed out of gbf-project.h,
eventually putting it in gbf-am-project.h if we decide not to change
gbf_build_run (in gbf-am-build.c) yet.

- The clean() virtual has to be implemented for the backend, it does
nothing right now.

- impl_get_build_targets() should return a comprehensive list of all the
supported targets by gbf_build_run(), and impl_build() should queue only
those operations, rejecting unknown ids.

Could you make a new patch with these changes instead?  Feel free to ask
any questions you like.  You can mail me directly, but cc: the list
please.

Thanks in advance,
Gustavo