Re: new, little patch and some questions

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 13:23, aurelien naldi wrote:
> hello,
>
> I'm new here, I'm a french student quite interrested by scaffold.
>
> unfortunatly you seems to lack developers, so I'd like to give a hand
> (even if I don't know much about gnome programming and I don't have so
> many time :/)
>
> here are two little patch that allow the current cvs version of
> gnome-build to compile and scaffold to run make from the UI.
>
> I'm not sure it's the right way to do this (especially using strcmp to
> compare gchar strings) but I'd love if this project could emerge and
> reach a usable state.

strcmp is fine though I think there might be a wrapper function
g_strcmp.  Some of the standard string calls are wrapped and some are
not.  You can check at gtk.org or a quick glance at DevHelp.  Actualy
looking at DevHelp shows there is no g_strcmp so strcmp is fine.  In the
future you can use the refs.

> somme annoying stuff with current scaffold:
>
> * it crashes at close time.

I noticed this but am busy on other aspects that I figured it would
either get patched or I would look at it after I merge my features in so
I could do some bug busting in one swoop.  The main Scaffold devs are
working on things like GtkSourceView right now which have a broader
scope but are still part of Scaffold so another hand here would be nice.

> * when a compile-error occur, we can click on the error to see the
> corresponding source-code, nice BUT it doesn't go/show the right line
> and if the file was previously opened it reopen it.

Well at least that isn't crashing anymore :-)

> * more complicated to solve: it lacks a symbol browser, is annyone
> working on it, having some ideas ??

I'm working on it actualy.  More to the point I am working on a code
parsing and generation engine that will keep track of every piece of the
code.  One of the byproducts is a complete symbol browser - that means
classes, properties, methods, signals along with attributes like public
and private.  I'm prototyping it in python and then integrating it with
Scaffold in C.    That is going to take awhile though.

> I think I can work a bit on this after I learn a bit more about gnome
> programming and get more familiar with the code-base

Great. We would love to have more help.

> sorry if my english is hard to understand.
>
> PS: please CC me as I'm not subscribed yet

I almost missed your e-mail the first time.  Perhaps putting Scaffold in
it or gnome-build, gpf, ect...  would draw my eyes.  I've been dropping
mental packets between all the spam and legit mailing list messages I
have been getting.

Oh and feel free to ask questions.

--
J5