Re: Scaffold Progress (was Re: Intro)

Hello,

Sorry I haven't replied before, I've been a bit busy.  But now I'm on
vacation and willing to start hacking on Scaffold again.

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 19:12, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I don't know if Scaffold will be ready for the first itteration on
> UserLinux.  Some experimental stuff is going on which makes it highly
> experimental :-).   I should have some cool stuff to show off by the end
> of the year but I haven't heard much from the other devs.  There might
> be a lot of stuff going on outside the CVS servers right now. I'm not
> realy sure.  I'm not actualy a core dev yet, or at least I haven't been
> blessed at such :-) so Jeroen would have a better idea of where things
> stand outside of CVS.  I haven't been able to get a hold of him lately
> though.

Well, I'm not a Scaffold core dev either.  I don't know most of the code
in there.  Gnome-build is another matter though, but it's a small part
of Scaffold :-)

But, I have some ideas.  As I said before, I'll start looking at
Scaffold code right away and fix some obvious stuff.  After that, I'd
like to come up with a rough roadmap for the near future.  For me, the
most important feature we should work on next, is a Python plugin
framework so new plugins can be prototyped very fast, and the project
can evolve.  I know this is very vague, so I'll try to write something
more detailed and specific in a few days.

> If you would like to help that would speed things up.  People have been
> sending in patches here and there.  I would like to get them aboard full
> time (or at least Scaffold becomming thier major project outside of
> work/school).   If you use Debian you can get to my repository with this
> line in your sources.list:
>
> deb http://martianrock.com/debian /binary
>
> It is a CVS snapshot from awhile back.  I might update it soon if
> anything has changed much.
>
> Absent any of the busy core dev guys I'm going to start accepting
> patches into my own tree just to keep momentum and give feedback for new
> dev's.  Any questions you may have just ask in the list and add Scaffold
> somewhere to the subject so I don't miss it.  Once I get the
> infrastructure that I have been working on in, I should be able to get
> some more visible features into Scaffold.

As I learn about Scaffold's inner workings, I'll try to review the
patches.  But I can't approve them since I'm not maintainer, so Jeroen
will have the final word.

Regards,
Gustavo