Re: Sun Gnome Translation

Hi there!

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 18:16, Damien Donlon - Sun Ireland - Solaris
Software - Software Engineer wrote:
> Hi Christian,
> Myself and Maria McGrath (who has already mailed you) got forwarded the
> mail you sent to Dieter Heiliger below regarding the translation effort
> for Gnome. Were there previous mails regarding the coordination of the
> effort? Are there issues which need to be resolved regarding the
> coordination of the work with the community? Dieter's email implied
> there were. If you have suggestions or see certain things not working
> well then please do let us know directly and we will do everything we
> can to fix them.

I phoned Dieter today and told him that SUN's currently translating
GNOME for their version in Solaris.
There are some issues:

	* Some words don't match with ours. There should be some sort of
decision made to have one translation for a specific word!
	* There are typos all over (when I checked it last time). Those
translators should be more careful while translating. I don't know if
they've ever looked at our translations. We're reviewing our
translations quite frequently and whenever a typo is discovered we're
trying to correct it immediately.
	* There are some "Stilblüten" (English word??) which need to be
corrected at once.

These are my major complaints about the SUN translations. We really need
to coordinate our works and avoid double work in the end.
It's be nice if the German translators in Ireland could contact us. They
should subscribe to the German mailing list (gnome-de gnome org). We're
coordinating our work there.
Currently there are 97% of the core packages translated and we're close
to 100%:
see
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.0-core/de.html

GNOME fifth-toe is at about 70%, we might need some help there. Extra
packages are at a bad state.

I hope future cooperation will solve the mentioned problems.

See you,
Christian Meyer

P.S. Could some German translators also comment on that email.
P.P.S SUN folks, please reply to chrisime uni de, thank you!