Re: [gnome-db] Gnome-db libraries

2007/1/23, Vivien Malerba <vmalerba gmail com>:
On 1/22/07, Daniel Espinosa <esodan gmail com> wrote:
> 2007/1/22, Vivien Malerba <vmalerba gmail com>:
> > Hi!
> >
> > As you'll notice in SVN, Libgnomedb now has 2 .pc files: one for the
> > main library, and one for the graph library. The advantages of this
> > new situation is that:
> > - one can use libgnomedb without the graph library if it's not needed,
> > and thus reduces the dependencies and memory consumption
> > - building and istalling the graph library is optional, and done only
> > is the GnomeCanvas library is found.
> >
> > The question I'm asking is if the "core" libgnomedb library should be
> > split into two parts as well: one for the data bound widgets (form,
> > grid, etc) and one for the "administrative" widgets such as the
> > widgets to handle DSNs, or to show the contents of a dictionary. This
> > would allow to further reduce memory consumption for applications
> > which only require data bound widgets. What do you think?
> >

> I'm with you, split all in small parts to allow port gnome-db to any
> other plataforms or widgets sets, I don't know but may other toolkits
> :-) or projects like maemo could be.

Libgnomedb now is composed of 3 libraries:
* libgnomedb.so (along with libgnomedb_handlers.so 97K stripped) which
contains the "minimum" to have data bound widgets and is about 287K
(stripped) on my box
* libgnomedb-extra.so which has the GnomeDbSelector,
GnomeDbDbmsUpdateViewer, GnomeDbReportEditor and GnomeDbGrayBar
widgets for 88K (stripped)
* libgnomedb-graph.so which contain GnomeCanvas related widgets for
108K stripped.

With this changes the gnomedb-sharp must create one DLL file with each
library so if you install just a part you can use the C# binding for
it.

"de grano en grano, se hace la arena" (R) (entrámite, pero para los
cuates: LIBRE)