Re: [gnome-db] understanding data sources

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 15:05 -0600, Neil Zanella wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am somewhat new to GNOME-DB. I need to understand whether I can send SQL
> statements to just about any data source (for instance, the following one:
>
> NAME: Default PROVIDER: XML CNC: URI=/tmp/gnome-db-test.db DESC:
> Default data source USER: nouser PASSWORD: (null
> )
>
> or whether I can only send SQL statements to data sources of the form
> DATABASE=foo,
> cause I really need to know so that I can present the right options to users.

you can call the gda_connection_supports function with
GDA_CONNECTION_FEATURE_SQL. Thus you know if you can send SQL to that
provider or not.

> Also, do I really need that ~/.libgda. Can't I just find out what
> drivers are installed from
> an API call (e.g. to find out MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc...)???
>
> I don't want to have to ask users to create dotfiles and so on just to
> use my program.

as I told you in my previous mail, there is no need for the config file.
You just can call gda_client_open_connection_from_string to open
connections from a given string, without the need for the .libgda/config
file.

Also, you can just create that file yourself in your program, by using
the gda_config_* API, so there is no need for the user to create
dotfiles by hand at all.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>