[gnome-db] understanding data sources

Hello,

I am somewhat new to GNOME-DB. I need to understand whether I can send SQL
statements to just about any data source (for instance, the following one:

NAME: Default PROVIDER: XML CNC: URI=/tmp/gnome-db-test.db DESC:
Default data source USER: nouser PASSWORD: (null
)

or whether I can only send SQL statements to data sources of the form
DATABASE=foo,
cause I really need to know so that I can present the right options to users.

Also, do I really need that ~/.libgda. Can't I just find out what
drivers are installed from
an API call (e.g. to find out MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc...)???

I don't want to have to ask users to create dotfiles and so on just to
use my program.

Thanks,

Neil