Re: [gnome-db] Oracle provider not closing connections ?

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 02:03, Steve Fosdick wrote:
> On 2003.06.03 11:34, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
>
> > this is because the types or number of fields doesn't match what
> > Mergeant expects, which is, for the FIELDS schema (in
> > mergeant/src/database.c#db_table_load_fields):
>
> The Oracle provider does normally provide the correct number and types
> for the FIELDS schema[1] but cannot do so when a query it uses to fetch
> the necessary data is rejected by oracle with an error.
>
> Rodrigo, what should a provider return when this happens?  NULL?

yes, if there's an error, it should return a NULL data model. And of
course, add the errors (gda_connection_add_error) to the connection.

> In the mean time the error message (ORA-911 Invalid character) is a
> little strange in the circumstances so I think it would be useful to
> get a trace of what SQL the oracle provider is actually handing to
> Oracle.  One way to do this would be via Oracle's SQL Trace feature.
> Biswapesh, can you try this and then send me trace file.  If you are
> unable to do this then let me know as it would also be simple for me to
> create a patch you could apply that will log the SQL sent to Oracle.
>
> I have also looked at the bracktrace, but it does not seem to be
> crashing within the Oracle provider so I'm not going to tackle that.

the crash seems to be in mergeant. Although I'm not really sure yet.
I'll look at it later on.

> Steve.
>
> 1. There are some cases where the oracle provider consistently returns
> the wrong number or types of schema data because that bit hasn't been
> brough up to date, but the FIELDS schema is one of the ones that
> normally works.

what do you mean by 'not brought up to date'?