RE: [gnome-db] MySQL client API is GPL, not LGPL

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 13:01, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> well, we were using an IPC mechanism before (CORBA) and we removed it
> because it wa spreventing libgda from being used in a lot of places. It
> wasn't slow at all, but because of the dependencies, people didn't like
> it very much.
>
> We changed then to a shared library approach, which has been the key for
> libgda being used in Gnumeric, Abiword, Planner (in a few weeks :-),
> etc.

Sorry I wasn't aware that libgda used CORBA in its early releases.

> What we can do though is to have a GdaLGPLIncompatibleProvider base
> class, that communicates with the real provider by some form of IPC
> (CORBA, local sockets, message queues, ...). Then, all providers that
> gives us this kind of licensing problems can use this base class.

Mmh pretty good idea.

Technically, how do we start the provider, since it will be (if I
understand well) a distinct executable and not a shared library?

I think the best way is that libgda manually starts the provider by
itself, upon the connection.

About local sockets and message queues, we should be careful to choose a
standard IPC mechanism, which can work on all supported platforms.

Cheers,

--
Laurent