RE: [gnome-db] MySQL client API is GPL, not LGPL

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 16:40, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 13:52, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > > I recently discovered that MySQL changed the license for
> > their client
> > > libs to GPL, although it was previously LGPL. But libgda is LGPL. I
> > > don't think that is possible, if libgda links to the MySQL libs.
> > >
> > right, we suspected this, but haven't had enough time to see
> > what to do. So, what do people think?
> >
> > Should we make the MySQL provider just link with the LGPL
> > versions (3.x.x)?
>
> I don't think that's a good plan for the future. Eventually MySQL 4 will be
> everywhere and MySQL 3 will not.

yes, that was my question, if from now on all MySQL libraries will be
GPL, or if there will be some LGPL a-bit-older-than-the-GPL release

> > This seems to be the best thing to do, but
> > would there newer LGPL versions, or from now on all will be GPL?
>
> We are unlikely to get a clear explanation from MySQL.

how so? Do you think asking them is not worthy?

> I guess some kind of plug-in system would be helpful. Then we could ship the
> MySQL provider separately, under the GPL.

that would still be "illegal", I guess, since it would still be linking,
in some way or the other, unless we use an IPC mechanism, like CORBA or
whatever for the MySQL provider.