RE: [gnome-db] MySQL client API is GPL, not LGPL

> > What we can do though is to have a GdaLGPLIncompatibleProvider base
> > class, that communicates with the real provider by some form of IPC
> > (CORBA, local sockets, message queues, ...). Then, all providers that
> > gives us this kind of licensing problems can use this base class.
>
> Mmh pretty good idea.
>
> Technically, how do we start the provider, since it will be (if I
> understand well) a distinct executable and not a shared library?
>
> I think the best way is that libgda manually starts the provider by
> itself, upon the connection.
>
> About local sockets and message queues, we should be careful to choose a
> standard IPC mechanism, which can work on all supported platforms.

if we are going to use some IPC mechanism, I'd go by adding a
GdaCORBAProvider, and then use CORBA for MySQL, and then also add a
generic CORBA provider which allows to access the 'normal' plugins via
CORBA. This would help in using libgda for distributed systems, and will
also avoid the 'how to activate the external provider' problem.

This (the generic CORBA provider) is something I had in mind for a long
time, so maybe we can take advantage of the MySQL problem and do it.