RE: [gnome-db] MySQL client API is GPL, not LGPL

> On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 13:52, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > I recently discovered that MySQL changed the license for
> their client
> > libs to GPL, although it was previously LGPL. But libgda is LGPL. I
> > don't think that is possible, if libgda links to the MySQL libs.
> >
> right, we suspected this, but haven't had enough time to see
> what to do. So, what do people think?
>
> Should we make the MySQL provider just link with the LGPL
> versions (3.x.x)?

I don't think that's a good plan for the future. Eventually MySQL 4 will be
everywhere and MySQL 3 will not.

> This seems to be the best thing to do, but
> would there newer LGPL versions, or from now on all will be GPL?

We are unlikely to get a clear explanation from MySQL.

I guess some kind of plug-in system would be helpful. Then we could ship the
MySQL provider separately, under the GPL.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net