Re: [gnome-db] Congratulations to you all -> PostgreSQL 7.3 questions

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 09:44, Vivien Malerba wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 06:39:29PM +0100, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> > Le Jeudi 12 Décembre 2002 18:28, Vivien Malerba a écrit :
> > > This is one of the features I'd definitely need...
> >
> > I will try to help. I never played around with GTK+, so it might take time
> > before I can submit a patch. Will pick something in the to-do-list and see
> > what I can do.

> If you want to contribute, you're welcome!
>
> The first thing you could focus on is define :
> - what the functions editor will allow the user to do,

I think it should just be an editor (GnomeDbSqlEditor) that lets the
user view and edit the SQL for the function.

> - in which way it is generic for other DBMS (I know Oracle does also
>   support it) and define optional features for each DBMS

I think we should do the modify_schema method we already talked about,
so that, from the function editor, you would just have to do:

	gda_connection_modify_schema (cnc, GDA_CONNECTION_SCHEMA_PROCEDURES,
sqltext);

(of course, the modify_schema is to be done in a more generic way, not
using a sql parameter. This is just an example)

Using this approach, I think we can have a full featured procedure
editor in a very short time, since we already have the SQL editor
widget, and it's just a matter of adding a new method to providers,
which in fact (this method) will be used for a lot of other things we
have planned.

> - using glade, propose a GUI for the functions editor (for example we
>   could add a page in the main mergeant window to show user defined
>   functions and from there the user could open a dialog window to edit
>   or create new functions).

I think it should be a page like the others, with a list of functions,
and a toolbar for operations, like the other pages.

> How does it sound?

very nice!