Re: gnome-db/TOAD/gASQL (was Re: [gnome-db]Access-like prkect)

On 26 Jul 2001 17:50:25 +0200, Vivien Malerba wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 04:58:36PM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > want in GNOME-DB. And this reminded me of another thing, which I've been
> > thinking for a while, Vivien, which is to merge the functionality in
> > gASQL into GNOME-DB, and make one killer app instead of 2 good apps.
> > Also, if we support some of the things that are in gASQL in GNOME-DB,
> > we'll make a big pain to gASQL, since I suppose people won't install an
> > app that does the same that GNOME-DB, and which itself depends on
> > GNOME-DB. I know this means some extra work, and please note that by no
> > means do I want to "kill the competition" :-) by merging gASQL into
> > GNOME-DB, of course not, but I really think there should be a good app
> > for DB access in GNOME (like there is in Windows, with Access, Paradox,
> > etc) instead of 2 with redundant functionality, or with stuff supported
> > in one and not supported in the other one
> >
> > so, should I shut up or is there something interesting in what I say?
> >

> No, I think this is worth thinking about.
>
> When I started gASQL (before I knew about GNOME-DB), I had the same need as you (and I
> still have). I decided to use GNOME-DB because it offers a solid foundation and allows
> to connect to many databases in the same way.
>
> About a possible merging, I agree with you about the fact that we should not duplicate
> our work. I've thought about the respective positions of gASQL and GNOME-DB, and I think
> the two products are complmentary. Let me explain:
> * about the archutecture: for the two, libgda is the common engine

yes, I've even thought myself to concentrate on libgda and leave
GNOME-DB almost as
it is, with only some additions

> * AFAIK, GNOME-DB is composed of some low level widgets (to manage libgda connections,
>   to connect to a database, a tabular view of a recordset, etc), and of some higher
>   level applications like gnomedb-fe and the rolodex (which I believe does not evolve a lot
>   anymore). gASQL uses the GNOME-DB "low level widget" and is also a high level application
>   (like gnomedb-fe).
> * now, about gnomedb-fe and gASQL: in my point of view, the two do not cover the same area: I
>   see more gASQL like an "acces like" application, and gnomedb-fe like a swiss army knife
>   for the databases. They do however have some functionnalities in common. I do use gnomedb-fe
>   sometimes when I want to do some things without all the constrains gASQL imposes.
>
> I agree that at the moment gnomedb-fe lacks some functionnalities that gASQL has
> (or will have): the queries designer, the forms edition mode.
> The trouble is that to have these functionnalities, a lot of overhead
> is needed (keep gASQL informed of the possible datatypes, functions, relationships between
> tables' fields, etc) which is too much if a user wants to make a simple SQL query and get
> a result fast.
>
> So, to summarize, I would say that we need the two applications. However what could be nice
> is:
> * show the two applications as part of GNOME-DB: we could say that GNOME-DB is made of
>   two applications that are gnomedb-fe and gASQL and has a GNOME-DB-devel package to
>   make your own applications using parts of gnomedb-fe or gASQL

yes, whichever decision we make, I think gASQL should be included as
part of the GNOME-DB
project, or as a "recommended" application. We could even coordinate
releases
so that latest gASQL always works with latest GNOME-DB.

> * work on gASQL to make different components reusable, and bind gnomedb-fe and gASQL more
>   closely.

I can think of 2 solutions based on what you say:
* have gASQL as another Bonobo component of GNOME-DB, in the same source
tree,
etc

* have gASQL as another Bonobo component of GNOME-DB, but having it as a
separate
program that, when installed, integrates nicely into gnome-db. That is,
as we're
already using a custom CORBA interface for gnomedb-fe to communicate
with the different
components, we could have gASQL implement this interface so that, when
installed, it
is seen as another part of GNOME-DB. That was the motivation when I
wrote the CORBA
interface, to enable extensions, and gASQL seems like a good extension.

another solution would be to leave GNOME-DB as it is (adding report
execution when
the report engine is done, and some other little things), and
concentrate o libgda
(I mean myself) specially. This could even be done in one of the above
solutions

> Just to give you an idea of what I have in mind for gASQL in the future:
> gASQL composed of 3 main components:
> * a core component with no GUI

what kind of core stuff?