Re: [gnome-db]0.2.90 tarballs

Hi Vivien!

First of all, sorry for the delay in answering

> > > * I can't run gnomedb-fe because it says it can't find gnomedb-fe.xml
> > >   (although it is installed in /usr/local/share/gnome-db/,for which
> > >   I had to create a symlink because it gets installed in /usr/local/share/gnome/ui).
> > >
> > it should be in $(prefix)/share/gnome/ui, where prefix is where Bonobo
> > is installed. It seems you're using the same prefix for Bonob than for
> > gnome-db, so it's really weird. But maybe it's got something to do with
> > the other error you're getting
> >

> I have bonobo 1.0.7 installed as an RPM (prefix=/usr), and I always install Gnome-DB
> from sources under prefix=/usr/local. This is the first time I have some problems.
> I have solved to gnomedb-fe.xml problem by making a symlink from /usr/share/gnome/ui/gnomedb-fe.xml
> to /usr/local/share/gnome/ui/gnomedb-fe.xml. Now there aren't anymore errors on startup
> of gnomedb-fe. But it seems it can't find any component to display: I get an empty working
> area. strange. If I try to load the connection manager from gASQL, it works

hmm, maybe it's because it can't find the XML files for the components. That is,
all components have an associated XML file to describe their UI, so
please try to also symlink those as you did with gnomedb-fe.xml

> > > Also I have a problem with gASQL which compiles fine but crashes when I
> > > call the function gda_connection_open().
> > > The only thing it says is:
> > > Message: Successfully registered `OAFIID:Bonobo_Moniker_std_Factory'
> > > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> > >
> > > gdb says it stopped in CORBA_Object_duplicate () from /usr/lib/libORBit.so.0
> > > which is called in bonobo_moniker_util_qi_return () from /usr/lib/libbonobo.so.2
> > >
> > > I have upgraded to the latest ORBit, bonobo, GConf and oaf.
> > >
> > try also latest Bonobo, although it's quite strange. The moniker stuff
> > is all done by Bonobo (I mean, there are no calls from the gnome-db/gda
> > code to the moniker system, apart from the bonobo_get_object. So, it
> > really seems something weird with your Bonobo setup.
> >

> the crash occurs in the bonobo_get_object() function call.
> When I use the gda-test program, it works nicely...

yes, strange. Seems something related to Bonobo.

> > Can you make a more detailed debugging session? That is, add a
> > breakpoint to gda_connection_open and run step by step there, to see
> > where it's failing. And, when it fails, just get a backtrace (command bt
> > in gdb) and send it to the list.
> >

> Here is what this gives:
> Message: Successfully registered `OAFIID:Bonobo_Moniker_std_Factory'

> 0x405eb9b3 in CORBA_Object_duplicate () from /usr/lib/libORBit.so.0
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x405eb9b3 in CORBA_Object_duplicate () from /usr/lib/libORBit.so.0
> #1  0x4065c0d1 in bonobo_moniker_util_qi_return () from /usr/lib/libbonobo.so.2
>
> This morning, I've also had some strange crashes I don't really explain.
>

> > Just in case it is useful, that's what I've got:
> >
> > ii  libbonobo-dev  1.0.7.cvs20010 CVS build of The GNOME Bonobo library
> > - deve
> > un  libbonobo1     <none>         (no description available)
> > ii  libbonobo2     1.0.7.cvs20010 CVS build of The GNOME Bonobo library.
> > ii  gconf          1.0.3.cvs20010 GNOME configuration database system.
> > (daemon
> > ii  libgconf-dev   1.0.3.cvs20010 CVS build of GNOME libgconf -
> > development fi
> > un  libgconf10     <none>         (no description available)
> > ii  libgconf11     1.0.3.cvs20010 CVS build of GNOME libgconf
> > un  libgconf8      <none>         (no description available)
> > un  libgconf9      <none>         (no description available)
> > ii  libcorba-orbit 0.4.3-3        ORBit module for Perl
> > ii  liborbit-dev   0.5.8-ximian.1 Dev libraries for ORBit - a CORBA ORB
> > ii  liborbit0      0.5.8-ximian.1 Libraries for ORBit - a CORBA ORB
> > ii  orbit          0.5.8-ximian.1 A CORBA ORB (used with Gnome)
> > ii  liboaf-dev     0.6.6.cvs20010 CVS build of The GNOME Objet
> > Activation Fram
> > ii  liboaf0        0.6.6.cvs20010 CVS build of The GNOME Objet
> > Activation Fram
> > ii  oaf            0.6.6.cvs20010 CVS build of The GNOME Object
> > Activation Fra
> >

> The versions I have are the same, but not from CVS.

I don't recall any big fix getting into Bonobo CVS lately, but that may
be the case. I'll try tonight to get those tarballs and make a clean
compilation on a clean machine, to see if I can reproduce the errors you
are getting.

Is there anybody else getting these crashes?