Re: [gnome-db]0.2.90 tarballs

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 05:11:25PM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On 06 Aug 2001 11:16:23 +0200, Vivien Malerba wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 06:26:22PM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Ok, tarballs for the 0.2.90 release are now available at
> > > ftp://ftp.gnome-db.org/pub/gnome-db/sources/0.2.90/.
> > >
> > > Could people test them and tell me of any problems found? Also, a simple
> > > "yes, it works" message would be appreciated.
> > >

> > Here are the problems I have found:
> > * GDA configure does not find missing files in report (this
> >   has no incidence on the working).
> >
> yes, we added the other day the report's Makefiles to configure.in, but
> the report directory is not in the tarball. Next time, I'll remove those
> Makefiles from configure.in before doing the release. But, well, as you
> say, it does not harm

Ok.

> > * I can't run gnomedb-fe because it says it can't find gnomedb-fe.xml
> >   (although it is installed in /usr/local/share/gnome-db/,for which
> >   I had to create a symlink because it gets installed in /usr/local/share/gnome/ui).
> >
> it should be in $(prefix)/share/gnome/ui, where prefix is where Bonobo
> is installed. It seems you're using the same prefix for Bonob than for
> gnome-db, so it's really weird. But maybe it's got something to do with
> the other error you're getting

I have bonobo 1.0.7 installed as an RPM (prefix=/usr), and I always install Gnome-DB
from sources under prefix=/usr/local. This is the first time I have some problems.
I have solved to gnomedb-fe.xml problem by making a symlink from /usr/share/gnome/ui/gnomedb-fe.xml
to /usr/local/share/gnome/ui/gnomedb-fe.xml. Now there aren't anymore errors on startup
of gnomedb-fe. But it seems it can't find any component to display: I get an empty working
area. strange. If I try to load the connection manager from gASQL, it works

> > Also I have a problem with gASQL which compiles fine but crashes when I
> > call the function gda_connection_open().
> > The only thing it says is:
> > Message: Successfully registered `OAFIID:Bonobo_Moniker_std_Factory'
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> >
> > gdb says it stopped in CORBA_Object_duplicate () from /usr/lib/libORBit.so.0
> > which is called in bonobo_moniker_util_qi_return () from /usr/lib/libbonobo.so.2
> >
> > I have upgraded to the latest ORBit, bonobo, GConf and oaf.
> >
> try also latest Bonobo, although it's quite strange. The moniker stuff
> is all done by Bonobo (I mean, there are no calls from the gnome-db/gda
> code to the moniker system, apart from the bonobo_get_object. So, it
> really seems something weird with your Bonobo setup.

the crash occurs in the bonobo_get_object() function call.
When I use the gda-test program, it works nicely...

> Can you make a more detailed debugging session? That is, add a
> breakpoint to gda_connection_open and run step by step there, to see
> where it's failing. And, when it fails, just get a backtrace (command bt
> in gdb) and send it to the list.

Here is what this gives:
Message: Successfully registered `OAFIID:Bonobo_Moniker_std_Factory'

0x405eb9b3 in CORBA_Object_duplicate () from /usr/lib/libORBit.so.0
(gdb) bt
#0  0x405eb9b3 in CORBA_Object_duplicate () from /usr/lib/libORBit.so.0
#1  0x4065c0d1 in bonobo_moniker_util_qi_return () from /usr/lib/libbonobo.so.2

This morning, I've also had some strange crashes I don't really explain.

> Just in case it is useful, that's what I've got:
>
> ii  libbonobo-dev  1.0.7.cvs20010 CVS build of The GNOME Bonobo library
> - deve
> un  libbonobo1     <none>         (no description available)
> ii  libbonobo2     1.0.7.cvs20010 CVS build of The GNOME Bonobo library.
> ii  gconf          1.0.3.cvs20010 GNOME configuration database system.
> (daemon
> ii  libgconf-dev   1.0.3.cvs20010 CVS build of GNOME libgconf -
> development fi
> un  libgconf10     <none>         (no description available)
> ii  libgconf11     1.0.3.cvs20010 CVS build of GNOME libgconf
> un  libgconf8      <none>         (no description available)
> un  libgconf9      <none>         (no description available)
> ii  libcorba-orbit 0.4.3-3        ORBit module for Perl
> ii  liborbit-dev   0.5.8-ximian.1 Dev libraries for ORBit - a CORBA ORB
> ii  liborbit0      0.5.8-ximian.1 Libraries for ORBit - a CORBA ORB
> ii  orbit          0.5.8-ximian.1 A CORBA ORB (used with Gnome)
> ii  liboaf-dev     0.6.6.cvs20010 CVS build of The GNOME Objet
> Activation Fram
> ii  liboaf0        0.6.6.cvs20010 CVS build of The GNOME Objet
> Activation Fram
> ii  oaf            0.6.6.cvs20010 CVS build of The GNOME Object
> Activation Fra

The versions I have are the same, but not from CVS.