Re: gnome-db/TOAD/gASQL (was Re: [gnome-db]Access-like prkect)

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 04:09:39PM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On 27 Jul 2001 13:19:51 +0200, Vivien Malerba wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 01:12:57AM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> >
> > I would like to move forward more on this part because this is what everything relies on
> > (specifically for the MySQL and Oracle providers)
> >
> ok, you've almost convinced me. I myself will concentrate on all the
> basic
> architecture and leave all end user stuff for gASQL.

Well, I can still work on the providers, and you are welcome to do anything you want on gASQL :)

> > > I can think of 2 solutions based on what you say:
> > > * have gASQL as another Bonobo component of GNOME-DB, in the same source
> > > tree,
> > > etc
> > >
> > > * have gASQL as another Bonobo component of GNOME-DB, but having it as a
> > > separate
> > > program that, when installed, integrates nicely into gnome-db. That is,
> > > as we're
> > > already using a custom CORBA interface for gnomedb-fe to communicate
> > > with the different
> > > components, we could have gASQL implement this interface so that, when
> > > installed, it
> > > is seen as another part of GNOME-DB. That was the motivation when I
> > > wrote the CORBA
> > > interface, to enable extensions, and gASQL seems like a good extension.
> > >
> > > another solution would be to leave GNOME-DB as it is (adding report
> > > execution when
> > > the report engine is done, and some other little things), and
> > > concentrate o libgda
> > > (I mean myself) specially. This could even be done in one of the above
> > > solutions
> > >

> > Right now it is not possible to treat gASQL as a component (it is too much closed on
> > itself for that right now).
> >
> yes, I know, but I mean, if we decide to go this way, we should work on
> making
> it a component that implements the GNOME::Database::UIShellComponent
> interface

Ok, I'll have to see in details the interfaces because I'm not up to date with your work on this.
I will implement this interface for the components and ask you if I have some things I
don't understand.

> > >From all the above comments, here is what I would propose (in chronology as it is more and more
> > work to achieve the different goals):
> > * first start by making releases of gASQL at the same time as GNOME-DB releases, with
> >   the packages for each located at the same place, so the users can get the two at the same time.
> >
> yes, as we all agree on this, next release will include gnome-db, libgda
> and
> gASQL. Also, I'll start making sure gASQL in CVS always compiles with
> gnome-db CVS

OK (there should not be any problem though because I correct them as soon as I see them.)

> > * convert gASQL into components which could give something like:
> >   - what I called a core 'component' which would take a moniker string (for example
> >     "gASQL/home/tests/myfile.xml!Form:my_custom_form") and return a bonobo control for what
> >     the moniker represents (in this case a form). I think of the following bonobo controls
> >     to be 'rendered': forms, tabular views, reports and SQL versions of some queries.
> >     gnomedb-fe will be able to use these bonobo controls
> >   - the gASQL application as it is now to create the xml files which will be referenced in
> >     moniker strings
> > * AND next turn most of the dialogs of gASQL into separate components (this is really a BIG work).
> >   At this point the gASQL application as it is now will only be a 'shell' for all the above mentionned
> >   controls. This step leaves us with a big 'core component' managing the gASQL data (relationships, etc)
> >   and controls exported by this core component and imported from other applications through bonobo (the
> >   perfect multi Model-View-Controler application)
> >
> > What do you think of this (the applications structure and the milestones)?
> >
> yes, this sounds perfect to me. But I insist in having gASQL export its UI via
> the GNOME::Database::UIShellComponent, so that it easily integrates in
> gnome-db
> when it is installed. In fact, gnomedb-fe, at startup, does a query of
> all components
> that implement that interface, and loads them, so this is why I think
> this is
> the right solution.

Ok, aggreed.

> The monikers idea is ok, but I see it as oriented to other tasks, such
> as
> document embedding, app developers who want to use gASQL features, etc,
> but not
> for the gnomedb-fe.

This is also what I want to have.

Cheers,