Re: gnome-db/TOAD/gASQL (was Re: [gnome-db]Access-like prkect)

On 03 Aug 2001 09:43:34 +0200, Vivien Malerba wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 04:09:39PM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > On 27 Jul 2001 13:19:51 +0200, Vivien Malerba wrote:
> > > On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 01:12:57AM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > >
> > > I would like to move forward more on this part because this is what everything relies on
> > > (specifically for the MySQL and Oracle providers)
> > >
> > ok, you've almost convinced me. I myself will concentrate on all the
> > basic
> > architecture and leave all end user stuff for gASQL.
> >

> Well, I can still work on the providers, and you are welcome to do anything you want on gASQL :)

yes, of course, I didn't mean to forbid you to help on gnome-db/libgda,
and neither
for me to do the same in gASQL :-)

> > > Right now it is not possible to treat gASQL as a component (it is too much closed on
> > > itself for that right now).
> > >
> > yes, I know, but I mean, if we decide to go this way, we should work on
> > making
> > it a component that implements the GNOME::Database::UIShellComponent
> > interface
> >

> Ok, I'll have to see in details the interfaces because I'm not up to date with your work on this.
> I will implement this interface for the components and ask you if I have some things I
> don't understand.

ok, great, but it's very easy. Just create a new GnomeDbControl, which
is what
contains the CORBA implementation of this interface, and connect to its
signals.
Also, I'd like to extend the CORBA interface to be more useful, so any
suggestion
you may have, just tell me. The IDL is in
gnome-db/idl/GNOME_Database_UI.idl

> > The monikers idea is ok, but I see it as oriented to other tasks, such
> > as
> > document embedding, app developers who want to use gASQL features, etc,
> > but not
> > for the gnomedb-fe.
> >

> This is also what I want to have.

yes, me too. I think we should start thinking about this seriously, since this
will mean that any Bonobo-aware application can reuse GNOME-DB/gASQL
data. We should
provide a set of embeddables/monikers that are different views of the
data
managed by our programs (a recordset to be embedded in Gnumeric, etc)