Re: gda-sybase: Ongoing developement in cvs

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 08:31:53AM -0500, Brian Bruns wrote:
> Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 08:31:53 -0500 (EST)
> From: Brian Bruns <camber umcc ais org>
> To: GDA <gnome-db-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: gda-sybase: Ongoing developement in cvs

> Not something I would recommend.  libtds is a very low-level library
> intended only to reduce some of the duplication that the call level
> interfaces (dblib, ctlib, ODBC) would otherwise have to implement.
> The provider shouldn't need to know all the gory details of the wire-level
> protocol.
>
> The other advantage is that the same provider could be used with both
> freetds and openclient.  Of course if it were in dblib and someone were
> motivated enough to port gnome-db to windows it could also run against MS dblib.

Nono, a bash and gcc for ms is enough... ;-)

Do you have any experiences if the ctlib/dblib based implementations of
freetds work with both sybase and ms sql? I see rodrigo's point to minimize
the count of providers, when they use the same protocol, so i want to
realize it in the tds provider.

Ciao,

  Holger

> I'm intending to see what is missing from freetds to support the provider as
> soon as I chase down a couple of bugs and get freetds v0.51 out the door
> (I'm way overdue for a release).

Will there be also changes to the api, or just bugfixes? :-)

Ciao,

 Holger