Re: gda-sybase: Ongoing developement in cvs

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Holger Thon wrote:

> Nono, a bash and gcc for ms is enough... ;-)

But who am I to stop someone elses waste..er...use of time? :-)

> Do you have any experiences if the ctlib/dblib based implementations of
> freetds work with both sybase and ms sql? I see rodrigo's point to minimize
> the count of providers, when they use the same protocol, so i want to
> realize it in the tds provider.

Let's see, SQSH (command line sybase query tool), DBD::Sybase (Perl), PHP
sybase module, SybSQL (qt based query tool), and lots of in-house code
originally written for Sybase work with freetds against either Sybase or
MS SQL with no code changes to them.  (Of course freetds required changes
here and there to implement previously missing functionality).

SQSH 1.4 was dblib, 1.5+ is ctlib.  DBD::Sybase is ctlib.  PHP has both
dblib and ctlib varients.  SybSQL is dblib.

> > I'm intending to see what is missing from freetds to support the provider as
> > soon as I chase down a couple of bugs and get freetds v0.51 out the door
> > (I'm way overdue for a release).
>
> Will there be also changes to the api, or just bugfixes? :-)

The changes to the API will be minor (mostly just #define or enum changes)
and will be compatible at the source level, but definately things will
need a recompile to go from v0.50 to 0.51.  Once I get 0.51 in the can,
I'm going to be back to making larger changes in the CVS version and
that'll be the time to make any needed changes for gda-sybase (just
guessing though...the other possibility is it compiles out of the box and
works ;-)

Cheers,

Brian