Re: gda-sybase: Ongoing developement in cvs

On 29 Oct 2000, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> > Holger Thon wrote:
> > > 3.) Also be added will be a gda-tds-server, which will try to use the tds
> > >     protocol stack of freetds directly.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions, or opinions?
Not something I would recommend.  libtds is a very low-level library
intended only to reduce some of the duplication that the call level
interfaces (dblib, ctlib, ODBC) would otherwise have to implement.
The provider shouldn't need to know all the gory details of the wire-level
protocol.

The other advantage is that the same provider could be used with both
freetds and openclient.  Of course if it were in dblib and someone were
motivated enough to port gnome-db to windows it could also run against MS dblib.
But I don't quite see that as a priority. ;-)

I'm intending to see what is missing from freetds to support the provider as
soon as I chase down a couple of bugs and get freetds v0.51 out the door
(I'm way overdue for a release).

Cheers,

Brian