Re: gda-sybase: Ongoing developement in cvs

Hi!

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 12:14:11PM -0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> Subject: Re: gda-sybase: Ongoing developement in cvs
> From: Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo linuxave net>
> To: "Dr. Gerhard Dieringer" <GDieringer compuserve com>
> Cc: Holger Thon <holger gidayu max uni-duisburg de>,
> 	GDA <gnome-db-list gnome org>
> Date: 29 Oct 2000 12:14:11 -0100
>
> > Holger Thon wrote:
> > > 1.) I saw you have entered yourself in the AUTHORS file for the gda-sybase
> > >     server. What work have you done yet porting to freetds lib?
> > > 2.) I suggest adding a gda-sybase_tds-server directory with the ct-lib based
> > >     part of freetds (or maybe switch to dblib as it's more complete in dblib).
> > >          So, the ocli part of gda-sybase-server needs just some adjustions, but
> > >          would work with sybase licences as long as freetds based parts work.
> > > 3.) Also be added will be a gda-tds-server, which will try to use the tds
> > >     protocol stack of freetds directly.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions, or opinions?
> > >
> well, this needs a good thought. We should add the less providers we can. So:
>
> * freetds supports sybase and MS SQL, right? if so, there will be one provider
>   for both of them
> * do we really want to have apart from this a gda-sybase-server to let
>   people compile with Sybase libs instead of freetds? If so, this provider
>   should compile well with both sybase and freetds libs IMO.
>
> So I don't see the need for the gda-sybase_tds server. Won't it be a duplicated
> effort?

Well, i had the intention to remove the gda-sybase-server directory after completing
the tds part. As long as the gda-tds-server does not work, there would be a working
server (like gnome-db2 cvs repository some time before).

Having both a sybase_tds and a tds provider more relies on the fact, that i haven't
used freetds yet, and i don't know if MS SQL Server could also be accessed with ctlib
part of freetds. Though, porting the sybase stuff working with freetds would be easier
in the first part.

If MS SQL also works with freetds, it would of course be better to just create
one server. This would be the part to do when i'm more into the api. ;-)

Ciao,

  Holger