Re: GNOME-DB TODO

> > About how to do it, I myself don't have a clear idea on how to do it in
> > a portable way, so let's discuss about it. The only thing I can think of
> > is to have the providers store a row identifier (ROWID in oracle, oid in
> > postgres...), and when a field is updated, to do it through this
> > identifier. BUT, some RDBMS don't support this!
>
> I have the same problem with MySQL in a PHP library and my solution was to
> update the rows using as much information as I have. But this update can
> modify several rows if the table doesn't have a unique column. But I think
> that this is
> the only solution to the problem. If we want to modify a record we can
> modify all
> the rows which have all the columns equals with the register that we want
> modify.

but this is not affordable. it could lead to unpredictable results in
some cases.

> If we think that the data sources can be LDAP, files etc. the all portable
> solutions
> doesn't exist. But in the RDBMS world we can use this solutions.
>
> ¿What do you think?

as you say, the all portable solution does not exist. But, we could go
ahead with the object ids, and if not supported, use the extra column
that has been pointed out, and if this is not supported, return an
error: "hey, I can't safely modify this row!".