Re: GNOME-DB TODO

Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> Hi Ace!
>
> [I forward the message to the mailing list so that the other people
> involved are informed]
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > I notice an important TODO item in 0.0.96:
> >
> > * allow recordsets to be modified
> >
> > I am interested in helping with this, because gnome-db
> > appears to be a very useful tool that has a lot of potential.
> >
> > Are there any pointers you can give or ideas which have already
> > been discussed about the best way to do this, or is there already
> > work going into this?  Either way, I am eager to help in this respect
> > as I have a project which would be perfect for using gnome-db, but
> > I am in need of using the tools to do database updates.  Please
> > let me know how I can help.
> >
> Right now, the only thing about this which is implemented are the method
> definitions in the IDL files.
>
> About how to do it, I myself don't have a clear idea on how to do it in
> a portable way, so let's discuss about it. The only thing I can think of
> is to have the providers store a row identifier (ROWID in oracle, oid in
> postgres...), and when a field is updated, to do it through this
> identifier. BUT, some RDBMS don't support this!

I have the same problem with MySQL in a PHP library and my solution was to
update the rows using as much information as I have. But this update can
modify several rows if the table doesn't have a unique column. But I think
that this is
the only solution to the problem. If we want to modify a record we can
modify all
the rows which have all the columns equals with the register that we want
modify.

If we think that the data sources can be LDAP, files etc. the all portable
solutions
doesn't exist. But in the RDBMS world we can use this solutions.

¿What do you think?

-- Alvaro