Re: Oracle & GNOME-DB

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 17:38:25 Rodrigo Moya Piernavieja wrote:

> patrick boulay wrote:

Hallo Patrick,

> > I am interested in Working on the Oracle part of GNOME-DB
> > I work as a full time Oracle dba at Nestle France
> > I 'am a fully skilled C Programmer but a Gnome/GTK beginner
> > You can contact me at Patrick.Boulay@fr.nestle.com
> > regards

sounds like a good job :)

> [Message CCed to Stephan, maintainer of the Oracle provider]

> * finish the oracle provider: it misses only a small part, but we are
> having problems in running it on kernel-2.2.* based systems. Even after
> the glibcpatch is applied, the resulting gda-oracle-srv crashes. So, we
> should provide support on the autoconf/automake files to make it work on
> both configurations, or if there is another solution... Also, the
> schemas (for returning information about the database) are not
> terminated for none of the providers, so you may help in defining and
> implementing all the missing stuff.

different people described the problem - but i can't get the crash on my
boxes.

i have two computers. the first one works with an SuSE 6.1 distribution
and everythink works fine (without any patch).

on the second there's an _selfmade_ system (build from sources) with
kernel
2.2.13 glibc-2.1.2 and Oracle8051EE_Intel.tgz with patch - and
everything
works fine too.

in the rdbms-demos there's a makefile wich definese lots of makros
(defining
wich libraries are used, some defines and lots of other stuff). the
patch
modifies this makefile. should we use the makefile to compile and link
gnome-db?

btw. rodrigo: the check for gnome in configure shouldn't check for
svrmgrl
in the oracle path - but for some libraries we link.

> * in a future, when all the current stuff is perfectly finished, we
> should provide support for modifying returned recordsets.

i didn't thought about it yet.

> * also, we started thinking about an ODBC Manager-like configuration
> app. We thought about having a shared library (or glib module) for each
> different GDA provider, which will then be loaded by the gda-manager app
> to let users configure the database. Murray (don't remember his address)
> is going to start the ODBC part of this to be included both in gnome-db
> and in the unixODBC project.

i work on a tnsnames-parser wich represents the tnsnames as tree. next
step
will be modification of the tnsnames.ora

the configuration widget will allow you to drag a datasource from
tnsnames
to your private gnome-db datasources (gdalib).

rodrigo: did you get informations about the gnorba-file and the
shared-lib-name?

another problem: i think we have a big memory leak somewhere.

> And, first of all, subscribe to the list, if you're not yet.

is there any problem with the list ( sometimes i get mails with half or
unreadable body - and per http there's no access to the list-archive )

rodrigo: the doc of the provided schemas - can you put them to the
web-site?
i have the same problem vivien has got.

> Cheers and welcome!

yep - welcome patrick

kinde regards

stephan

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
                                                        John Lennon