Re: Oracle & GNOME-DB

Stephan Heinze wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 17:38:25 Rodrigo Moya Piernavieja wrote:
> >
> > patrick boulay wrote:
>
> Hallo Patrick,
>
> > > I am interested in Working on the Oracle part of GNOME-DB
> > > I work as a full time Oracle dba at Nestle France
> > > I 'am a fully skilled C Programmer but a Gnome/GTK beginner
> > > You can contact me at Patrick.Boulay@fr.nestle.com
> > > regards
>
> sounds like a good job :)
>
> > [Message CCed to Stephan, maintainer of the Oracle provider]
>
> > * finish the oracle provider: it misses only a small part, but we are
> > having problems in running it on kernel-2.2.* based systems. Even after
> > the glibcpatch is applied, the resulting gda-oracle-srv crashes. So, we
> > should provide support on the autoconf/automake files to make it work on
> > both configurations, or if there is another solution... Also, the
> > schemas (for returning information about the database) are not
> > terminated for none of the providers, so you may help in defining and
> > implementing all the missing stuff.
>
> different people described the problem - but i can't get the crash on my
> boxes.
>
> i have two computers. the first one works with an SuSE 6.1 distribution
> and everythink works fine (without any patch).
>
> on the second there's an _selfmade_ system (build from sources) with
> kernel
> 2.2.13 glibc-2.1.2 and Oracle8051EE_Intel.tgz with patch - and
> everything
> works fine too.
>
> in the rdbms-demos there's a makefile wich definese lots of makros
> (defining
> wich libraries are used, some defines and lots of other stuff). the
> patch
> modifies this makefile. should we use the makefile to compile and link
> gnome-db?
>
> btw. rodrigo: the check for gnome in configure shouldn't check for
> svrmgrl
> in the oracle path - but for some libraries we link.

Ok, I'll change it to check for libclntsh.so. Is that ok? or should we check
for more libs.

> > * in a future, when all the current stuff is perfectly finished, we
> > should provide support for modifying returned recordsets.
>
> i didn't thought about it yet.
>
> > * also, we started thinking about an ODBC Manager-like configuration
> > app. We thought about having a shared library (or glib module) for each
> > different GDA provider, which will then be loaded by the gda-manager app
> > to let users configure the database. Murray (don't remember his address)
> > is going to start the ODBC part of this to be included both in gnome-db
> > and in the unixODBC project.
>
> i work on a tnsnames-parser wich represents the tnsnames as tree. next
> step
> will be modification of the tnsnames.ora
>
> the configuration widget will allow you to drag a datasource from
> tnsnames
> to your private gnome-db datasources (gdalib).
>
> rodrigo: did you get informations about the gnorba-file and the
> shared-lib-name?

Nothing at all, so we may start thinking on another way (another global
file?)

> another problem: i think we have a big memory leak somewhere.

Where?

> > And, first of all, subscribe to the list, if you're not yet.
>
> is there any problem with the list ( sometimes i get mails with half or
> unreadable body - and per http there's no access to the list-archive )

I receive all the messages (I think) with no problem. And the list-archive, I
think it is updated when the month is finished, but I'm not sure.

> rodrigo: the doc of the provided schemas - can you put them to the
> web-site?
> i have the same problem vivien has got.

Yes, I'll do it.