Re: gnome-db-0.90 on Solaris

Terry Gliedt wrote:

> I've been trying to get Gnome-DB installed and to use it with my MySQL
> and Sybase databases. First, thank you all for your efforts.

The Sybase server is almost empty, so don't waste your time. And the
MySQL server was (at least on my system) broken. I've committed today to CVS
some changes that made it work on my RedHat-6.0 system with MySQL-3.23.8-1.
You may want to check them. If you can't access the CVS server, tell me and
I'll send you a tarball.

> Make issues. I'm working on Solaris 2.51, without root access, so this
> means I cannot put anything into /usr/local. This means my environment
> forces me to override all defaults. I find lots of configure problems
>:-)

As long as you tell configure where to find all the GNOME files, I think
there should be no problem, although the gnome_db.gnorba file MUST go to the
GNOME etc/CORBA/servers directory, so you may need root access for this is
GNOME is installed on /usr or /usr/local.

> Here's what I had to do to get the code to compile:
> Added this to postgres/config.h like I found in Apache
>   #ifndef INADDR_NONE
>   #define INADDR_NONE ((unsigned long) -1)
>   #endif

I had the same problem once on Solaris as well. I've added this 3 lines to
postgres/socket.h

> Removed '-linsck' from gda-sybase-server/Makefile. I have
> open_client-11.1.1 installed.

As said before, don't use this server for the moment.

> Removed '-lefence' from testing/Makefile. Maybe you should drop testing
> from the default list of directories to be made? Good for developers,
> not much interest for admins doing install (assuming things work :-)

It's been removed on CVS, but I think this was after releasing 0.0.90.

> Commented out call to 'setenv' in fe/fe_session.c. This isn't the right
> solution, but I was trying to get further. This should probably be
> caught in ./configure and/or provide your own code.

I sent an email some months ago to the GTK+ list, since I really don't
undertand why there's not a g_setenv function, as there may be a portable
way, or not?

> Removed 'po' from SUBDIRS list in Makefile cause xgettext didn't work
> again. I do not have GNU xgettext and this breaks constantly for me. I
> need to figure where the source for this is.

gettext is needed by gnome-db, so you must have it correctly installed.