Re: Number of tuples in a Recordset

Vivien Malerba wrote:

> On mer, 09 fév 2000, Rodrigo Moya Piernavieja wrote:
>

> > I think I've found the solution to the first problem, since I just updated my local
> > copy with your changes and found errors in gda-postgres-connection.c: 'too few
> > arguments in call to gda_postgres_cmd_execute()'...

Now, after the last update, it compiled ok. Maybe, I didn't cvs update properly.

> > About the difference between a recordset with 0 tuples and a provider not being able
> > to tell how many rows it's got: we can just leave as it is (returning 0) and
> > specifying that you cannot rely on this value, or return -1 to make the difference,
> > but this will be the same as an error (by convention, all functions returning gint's
> > return -1 in case of error), so we can return -2 (or whatever). So, what do you
> > think? I'd vote for the first solution (not very elegant I know).
>
> That's the only solution since Gda_Recordset->affected_rows is gulong. Maybe is
> it time to introduce a new kind of function to learn about the limitations of
> the provider. I mean there WILL be some other cases like this one and as you
> say leaving it like that is not an elegant solution. So why not do it now? Tell
> me what you think about this.

That's one of the schemas we must add, maybe a GDA_Connection_GDCN_SCHEMA_SUPPORTS. Or
another way would be to add a new function to the GDA_Connection CORBA interface, which
will return TRUE/FALSE. But, as I said before, if we find a way of doing it without
touching the IDL, better.

And as you say, this is very important, so we should add it as soon as possible.

Cheers