Re: FW: katabase and mysql?

chris wiegand wrote:

> > Chris Wiegand wrote:
> > >
> > > Guys, have we considered the possibility of perhaps having a KDE
> interface as well? I'll admit, I'm not familiar with Corba, or how hard it
> would be, but I would be interested in working on such a thing - I'm
> familiar with KDE programming. Is there interest? Would it be a Bad Idea?
> >
> > I don't mind at all having a KDE front end, in fact yesterday I had a
> > talk about gnome-db and I was asked about this. But, there are some
> > things to have in mind:
> >
> > * we don't want to have all the code plenty of #ifdefs
> > * we're not changing, by any mean, the object-oriented design of the
> > client libs (that is, we're not removing the GTK+ object system). For
> > GTK 1.4, there will be a GObject stuff in glib, so that you don't depend
> > on GTK (and X). When this is ready, we can switch to this, so that the
> > KDE part just will depend on glib, and not on GTK+.
> > * what CORBA implementation is being used in KDE?
>
> I was thinking, at least at first, that I'd basically make it a C++ API on
> top of the existing gda libraries (basically, a client). As far as corba,
> they aren't really using one, they claim it's just not good enough, and are
> using libICE. I was thinking of using orbit, since the code is already
> written for it. I could, once GTK 1.4 is out, just use the existing code,
> and if necessary change the widgets to point to KDE ones.

If you're going to make a C++ API, this could be very useful not only
for KDE, but for people wanting to use the client libs from C++. I
assume there won't be any KDE specific code in this part, or will be?
About this, I was told yesterday in the Linux Expo (here in Madrid) that
there is a program called SWIG which automatically generates bindings
for perl, python and other languages. I haven't had time today to search
for it, so does anybody know something about it?

for the widgets, the only solution AFAIK is to code KDE widgets.