Re: `stringlist params' in GNOME::ObjectFactory::create_object

HI, Maciej:

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Miguel de Icaza <miguel helixcode com> writes:
>

> > Good thinking.  I have wanted to do this for a long time.
> >
> > That initialization string list is really obviated by the existance of
> > Monikers now.
>
> Actually, it would still be nice to have some solution for passing
> arguments to objects at initialization time. For example, if we ever
> wanted something like pOuterUnknown in Microsoft COM [hint: we really
> need it to be truly language-neutral], we would need this
> functionality. Right now the only way to pass arguments at object
> creation time is to define a custom factory interface, and that just
> plain sucks.

Why don't use just an Any? Since the first time I saw the "stringlist" I
knew it smelled bad. The natural solution could be both to use an any or to
create an agreed-upon class similar to an "InitializationContext", pretty
much the same as the Transaction Service maintains the "sense" of a
transaction using contexts. The initialization context could evolve and be
used during the lifetime of the server that have been created.

> However the stringlist solution is both broken as designed and
> impossible to use currently (since OAF doesn't expose it in it's
> actvation API), so we may as well remove it until someone can design
> and implement a better solution for this problem.

Solutions are for example, the two given above, and the one you suggested:
custom factory interfaces. This is hard (or unpretty) in the case of
Bonobo/GNOME because the skeletons are part of the library and their use is
through Bonobo's library functions. However, this solution is the adopted
by the new CORBA Component Model's Factory interface, in which you can
define custom factory methods.

    Perhaps a solution like this could be integrated with the new Miguel's
bonobo-idl.

> Monikers don't really have any relation to this at all, as far as I
> can tell.

I think so.

>  - Maciej

    Regards and hope this helps. Note that I have only a partial vision on
Bonobo/OAF, so take this e-mail with care! ;-) ;-)
    diego.

--
Diego Sevilla Ruiz -- http://ditec.um.es/~dsevilla/ -- dsevilla um es
       Departamento de Ingeniería y Tecnología de Computadores