Re: review of the Storage interface

Miguel de Icaza <miguel helixcode com> writes:

> > > I don't like to freeze the current API because I think it is incomplete.
> >
> > Lots of things in Bonobo could be even better than they are.
>
> Yeah, but these changes affect no existing applications and would
> allow for a good infrastructure to be put in place.

I believe they do affect existing applications (including Nautilus),
but it's your prerogative to decide on priorities.

> > However, it's not even true that we can make any of these changes
> > without affecting anything else. For instance, Nautilus has a server
> > that implements the Stream interface to use with Bonobo Controls and
> > Embeddables which we use to display content in Nautilus. We'd have to
> > make a lot of changes to that code to support all the things you want,
> > and it would be very difficult to test our changes, since no Bonobo
> > components out there use any of this functionality right now (since it
> > doesn't exist yet).
>
> We are talking about Storages, not Streams.

Actually, I believe Dietmar proposed changes to both interfaces.

> > Do you think that all the changes you suggested are important enough
> > that we should delay shipping GNOME 1.4 for an unknown but possibly
> > quite long length of time to get them in, and even then risk shipping
> > a buggier GNOME 1.4? Are they also worth delaying GNOME 2.0, the
> > long-awaited and long-delayed development platform update, since many
> > people will not start working on GNOME 2.0 in earnest until GNOME 1.4
> > has shipped?
>
> Yes.

OK. It's all right if we are breaking the planned Bonobo freeze date
so long as we agree to a new one. This is important to me as one of
the release coordinators because I often get asked about the GNOME 1.4
target date, and I think I will need to revise what I tell people
based on this new information.

 - Maciej