Re: More namespacing woe ...

Miguel de Icaza <miguel helixcode com> writes:

> > What you are suggesting is doing a technically wrong thing just to
> > get a very little bit more convenience.
>
> At this point, I want to point out to this paper:
>
> http://www.jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html
>
> Before we keep arguing about `the right technical decision at every
> turn'

That's why uuids are a safer bet than namespacing - it's much simpler
to have the right thing happen without expecting people to have a clue
or do the right thing.

> I still believe we are smart enough and communicative enough to avoid
> having OAFID name space clashes.

Dude, given that we can't even manage to match moniker protocol names
with those for gnome-vfs modules, I wouldn't go praising our level of
communication.

But the main point here is about all those hundreds of thousands of
people who will be writing their own applications if GNOME becomes a
successful platform. I don't think having all of them on this mailing
list scales.

 - Maciej