Re: bonobo-hello

Michael Meeks <michael@helixcode.com> writes:

> Hi Maciej,
>
> On 20 Apr 2000, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > I think the bonobo-hello container should replace the one in
> > samples/compound-doc and some of the other hokey test containers that
> > are in the bonobo tree.
>
> 	I'd like to read bonobo-hello before we write off
> sample-container, I tend to think that sample-container is rather nice,
> certainly my container of choice.

It's much like sample-container but more functional (it can handle
controls as well as embeddables for instance), and coded in a much
cleaner style (nice GtkObjects for everything instead of the "let's
make a random floating struct" style of sample-container.

> I do think we should kill the vulgar hacks in bonobo/bonobo however,
> the must just lead people astray especially when they want to try
> out bonobo quickly.

I agree with killing, for instance, sample-server.c and
test-container.c. However, this is as far as I know no better
replacement for sample-item.c. It would be good to at least move it to
samples/ where someone can see it and clean it up.

> So where do I find bonobo-hello ?

A pointer was sent.

> > I also think the bonobo-hello component should be placed in samples/
> > as it is a _far_ better example to copy than anything there or in
> > components/
>
> 	This sounds like a good start, always nice to have lots of good
> samples.

The "good" part is more important than the "lots of" part, IMO. :-)

 - Maciej