Re: Multiple profile device support

Pascal de Bruijn píše v St 26. 05. 2010 v 18:45 +0200:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
> > On 26 May 2010 16:50, Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn pcode nl> wrote:
> >> Does this actually make sense? Not really....
> >
> > There are wide-gamut monitors that allow different "modes" so you
> > artificially lower the gamut range so you don't blow your eyes when
> > you try to view uncorrected content. It turns out HP have a large
> > number of those monitors "in the field" so to speak, and they are
> > quite keen on getting them to work correctly.
>
> I actually have a HP screen, it does have an sRGB mode indeed... But
> this means the screen fiddles with it's internal LUT a bit to fake
> this... It's not really a great idea...

It is not a best solution, but until the complete desktop is colour
managed, it is needed to have a chance to switch to sRGB emulation.
Otherwise, the window decorations and images in non-colour managed apps
look unrealistic.

> > Yes, that's how it used to be. The RAW converter has to be "set"
> > manually with the ICC profile to use, which is gobbledygook that
> > nobody will do. That's something I want to automate, see
> > http://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2010/05/23/gnome-color-manager-and-you/
> > for details.
>
> And that's how it should be in the future... GCM can only help by not
> providing any irrelevant profiles...

I agree. GCM would not only provide a default profile for each device
type (one for 5D, another for D200, etc.) but also a list of potentially
usable profiles, which were previously assigned by the user for the
particular device. The advantage is that the list of available profiles
gets shorter.

>From the work-flow viewpoint, it would be really slow to start GCM UI
only to change the profile or rendering intent for a single photo. This
option must be available directly in the app (RAW converter, editor).

Regards,

Milan Knizek
knizek (dot) confy (at) volny (dot) cz
http://www.milan-knizek.net - About linux and photography (Czech