Re: Multiple profile device support

On 26 May 2010 16:50, Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn pcode nl> wrote:
> Does this actually make sense? Not really....

There are wide-gamut monitors that allow different "modes" so you
artificially lower the gamut range so you don't blow your eyes when
you try to view uncorrected content. It turns out HP have a large
number of those monitors "in the field" so to speak, and they are
quite keen on getting them to work correctly.

> A single profile well-made against daylight or a strobe can usually
> cover 80/90% of your usage scenario's, unless you're really anal
> retentive...

Sure, but people that care about color management and anally retentive
people are very co-morbid :-)

>> * Scanners, where nothing can be altered
>
> Think of negative/positive scanning as well, which could mean a
> profile per type of negative.

Right, makes sense.

> This makes very little sense! At least if I'm getting this right (big IF) :)
>
> When developing RAWs:
> Which profile to apply is a decision you make on-the-fly when working
> with a RAW converter...

Yes, that's how it used to be. The RAW converter has to be "set"
manually with the ICC profile to use, which is gobbledygook that
nobody will do. That's something I want to automate, see
http://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2010/05/23/gnome-color-manager-and-you/
for details.

The idea is that the RAW converter (darktable, f-spot, whatever) calls
into GCM to find out the ICC profile that should be used for each
file.

> When printing:
> Which profile to apply is a decision you make on-the-fly when loading
> the printer with paper before printing... This could very well be per
> 1 sheet...

Sure. The CUPS parts are very much still up in the air and are being
worked on. We don't have a very good story there yet.

> When scanning:
> To set a generic scanner profile this make sense... but for
> negatives/transparancies this is something you would apply on-the-fly
> using the scanning tool...

Right, but presumably one wants to be used by default? For something
like simple scan we can just tell it the default profile and there is
no UI to configure.

> So I'm not sure to what extent it is useful for GCM to get involved
> here... Except for setting the default profile :)

I'm really pushing GCM into the CMM role, where the defaults are got
from GCM rather than set in each and every application.

Richard.