Re: Multiple profile device support

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 09:29:47AM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Why might we want more than one profile for a device?
>
> * A monitor has two selectable modes, sRGB and wide gamut
> * A printer has different profiles depending on the media and inks
> * A camera has different profiles depending on whether it's shot in
> the studio or outside
> <insert others>

 * A scanner can be in reflective media (paper) or transparent
   media (film / slides) mode. Each mode has potential for multiple
   profiles particularly for type of film

> Now, the DBus interface and the device-profiles configuration already
> supports multiple profiles for each device, just not the UI. If you
> guys have any other use cases for more than one profile for a device
> then I'm interested.
>
> So, if we decide we need prefs UI to choose between studio and outside
> camera profiles, what should it looks like?
> ___________________________________
> | Nikon D60 Studio (default)
> |#Nikon#D60#Outside################
> |__________________________________
>
> [ Make default for device ]
> [ Assign another profile ]
> [ Unassign this profile ]
>
> Or we just have the buttons
>
> [ Add ] [ Remove ] and [ Make default ]
>
> Although then we have two "Add" and "Remove" buttons on the same tab.
>
> Or do we have hypertext entries in the cellview itself:
> | Nikon D60 Studio (default)    | /Remove/
> |#Nikon#D60#Outside#############| /Make default/, /Remove/
>
> Or do we just let the user drag the profiles up and down to select the
> order? Double click to make default? Is this discoverable enough? How
> do users add profiles from the existing combobox?

NB, for scanners you can have 2 defaults. Since the scanner program
knows whether its doing transparencies or reflective media, it will
want a default profile for each mode, along with other non-default
choices for each.

Regards,
Daniel