Re: bzzzt

Am Dienstag, den 12.02.2008, 09:37 -0500 schrieb Luis Villa:
> On Feb 12, 2008 9:31 AM, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:

> > > _quality_ includes functionality. If the quality isn't good enough for
> > > our users (because either stability or functionality is missing) then
> > > say 'hey, we can't release this' not 'well, it sucks, but we'll
> > > release it anyway.'
> >
> > So we should focus on getting more development done. Promising we'll
> > release when ready means alexl has to code the rest plus distributions
> > will use beta stuff.
> >
> > I think you misunderstand the message by Andre as truth and not as
> > "let's get some developers into action". It was overstated so more devs
> > would help[1]. There is already some more dev work going on.
>
> Ah! I agree with that as a general strategy, but my sense is that
> delay is a better threat than shipping on time with bugs. Delay means
> the dev don't get to work on their new toys, so it is important to
> them. Shipping with bugs is a problem that affects regular users, not
> the dev (as much, since they build from CVS anyway) so it is less of a
> threat.

Your arguments are absolutely right, but as Olav pointed out,
giving more time for the release, just increases the problem.

IMHO time pressure is unpleasant, but very essential in software
development, to force focus on the necessary stuff. Without that
focus we software developers tend to toy around.

Once some project management guru said: "The more time you assign to a
project, the more time it will need to get done. If you assign infinite
time [aka. "it's done, when it's done"], it will take infinite time."

Ciao,
Mathias
--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>
Openismus GmbH: http://www.openismus.com/