Re: Policy proposal: Dropping 2.16 reports

On 9/15/07, Benjamin Gramlich <benjamin gramlich gmail com> wrote:
> what about changing the development cycle to accommodate such long term
> support distributions? You know, so that there's a long term support of
> 2.16 and then 2.18 & 2.20 are supported for a shorter time. Then 2.22
> would be another long term support release?

Well, one of the basic reasons to not do that is that distros which
provide long term support don't pick the same version of GNOME to use;
Ubuntu LTS might pick 2.20 while RHEL picks 2.22, and SLES picks 2.18.
 If we had chosen, say 2.16 and 2.22 for long term support and Ubuntu
wanted to do a long term support distro at the time 2.20 was out,
would they really bother using 2.16?  I don't think so...