Re: Policy proposal: Dropping 2.16 reports

Le dimanche 16 septembre 2007, à 12:48 +0200, Andre Klapper a écrit :
> Am Samstag, den 15.09.2007, 19:42 -0500 schrieb Benjamin Gramlich:
> > what about changing the development cycle to accommodate such long term
> > support distributions? You know, so that there's a long term support of
> > 2.16 and then 2.18 & 2.20 are supported for a shorter time. Then 2.22
> > would be another long term support release?
>
> but what for?
> i know gnome product developers that had to put their patches into their
> 2.14.x-long-term-support-version, the 2.18.x-current-stable and the
> 2.19.x-development branch. it was a huge workload.
> gnome does NOT provide big enduser support. gnome users normally get
> their distribution from a vendor, on a free or a contract basis. if that
> vendor wants to provide long-term support to his customers, he can
> always do, but that's not GNOME's task.

Well, if there's a really major bug, I guess it will be fixed in old
branches too if possible. But that major bug won't be a crasher reported
by bug-buddy (if it's a crasher we'll receive tons of bug reports before
the next stable version). It will more likely be a security issue, and
this is not what we're talking about here...

So, I'd say we do long-term support when it comes to security issues. I
don't think any distribution would request more than that from us.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.