Re: Our (unwritten) directive/policy/rules

nevenin.

===
[1]
===
http://live.gnome.org/Bugsquad/DirectiveDiscussion :
"NEEDINFO:
Reports should be set to NEEDINFO when there is essential information
missing or a developer has some unanswered questions."

this is still as vague at it is currently. :-/

imagine: we have a (say: nautilus) trace which misses symbols and is
pretty generic (lots of gtk/gdk/glib stuff after the <signal handler>),
but does not miss frames.

what we all know:

there are triagers that will set a bug to needinfo and ask for
installing debug packages, because the stacktrace is too generic.

and there are triagers which are a bit more conservative and think "let
the developers decide if the trace is useful, even it's pretty generic
and does not have line numbers".

currently when i face such a bug report (as described above), i
sometimes add a needinfo answer, but do not set the bug to needinfo, so
it's still visible to the developer (who could perhaps get a clue of
that trace), but i also have the naive hope that the reporter will
submit a better trace with symbols in the meantime, because i asked him
to do so.

i can understand both points of view, but we should find a conclusion
here, and i'd prefer to be conservative here.

===
[2]
===
we should have a clear rule when to close needinfo bugs as incomplete,
and this rule should be added to the triage guide (s-d-f also is not
mentioned in that guide currently, but that's another issue).

i was used to wait 30 days before closing them. perhaps we should set
this to 45 days (if there aren't any dups of course), to be a bit more
safe?
opinions?

===
[3]
===
another issue: shall we have gentleman agreements? i remember that i
once closed lots of bugs that guenther had set to needinfo four weeks
before, and this was considered unfriendly, while i am happy if anyone
takes the time to clean up bugzilla and closes bugs as incomplete that i
had set to needinfo some weeks before.
of course i get guenther's point, because he had all the work to read
them and set them to needinfo (which counts less than closing a bug in
the bugzilla points statistic), so he should also get the points for
closing them (which is much less time & work than needinfo'ing). :-)

i'd like to find out the points of view that exist among the triagers
(not in order to blame anybody, but in order to find a consensus, and to
avoid future misunderstandings).

thanks,
andre (if you've found spelling mistakes, you are allowed to keep them.)

--
 mailto:ak-47 gmx net | failed!
 http://www.iomc.de/  | http://blogs.gnome.org/portal/aklapper