Re: adding dups reporters to recipients

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 17:04, John Fleck wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 09:31, Elijah P Newren wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 06:54, paolo borelli wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I was wondering if it would be possible to configure bugzilla so that
> > > when a bug A is marked as duplicate of bug B the reporter of bug A could
> > > be added to the list of recipents that are mailed when a modification to
> > > bug B occurs.
> [snip]
> >    1) The majority of people who submit bugs to bugzilla (around 90-95%
> >       or so) never follow up on the bugs they submit--we know because we
> >       often need and ask for extra information, and very few people
> >       respond to such requests.  Thus, making your change would probably
> >       be an inconvenience or annoyance to most bugzilla users.  So, even
> >       though this would be beneficial to the more helpful bugzilla users
> >       such as yourself, we don't want to irritate the majority of the
> >       bugzilla users out there.
>
> I think Elijah's argument here is reason enough not to do this. People
> who really want to get updates already can easily add themselves to the
> cc line. By experience, most people don't seem to want to have much of
> anything to do with a bug after they file it.

Even worse, there's bugs like 59500 (yes, I remember that number, and
there are others just like it). Do the reporters of duplicates want bug
mail from that one? NO!

(How do mozilla handle that case?)

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>

The lighting designer is expected to be a master of art, science,
history, psychology, communications, politics and sometimes even
mind reading. -- Stage Lighting Design 101