Re: Gento reports in bugzilla.gnome.org

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 15:38, Kjartan Maraas wrote:
> That's good to hear. I'll make sure to have people disable stripping
> when we need backtraces, but it's definitely a problem for the user to
> recompile from glib up because we need backtraces. Not sure there's a
> way around that though.

That maybe a problem. There is an option for "emerge" that recompiles
all the dependencies from the bottom up (--emptytree). So users could
add the "nostrip" and recompile everything. But, yes, it isn't easy for
the user to do that unless they've got a pretty fast machine.

> > On our bugzilla, we request all users to paste the output of "emerge
> > info" which contains all the relevant compiler flags, gcc version and
>
> Got links to relevant info that we can point them to?

I can only point to "man emerge" which says (we probably should have an
HTML version online):

info   This is a list of information to include in  bug  reports  which
       aids  the  developers  with  fixing any problems you may report.
       Please include this information when submitting  a  bug  report.
       Expanded output can be obtained with the --verbose option.

And also the bugs.gentoo.org submit page in the additional information
section:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Gentoo%20Linux&format=guided

I hope that helps.

Cheers,