Re: Gento reports in bugzilla.gnome.org

begin  quote
On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:38:51 +0200
Kjartan Maraas <kmaraas broadpark no> wrote:

Hello,
  (some partial responses below)

> That's good to hear. I'll make sure to have people disable stripping
> when we need backtraces, but it's definitely a problem for the user to
> recompile from glib up because we need backtraces. Not sure there's a
> way around that though.

Not really unless a user wishes to default to not stripping builds,
disabling omit-frame-pointer and other "cool" things users can find to
build their systems with  *wry smile*

Generally, I dont think you even want to know what the "worst case"
optimizations we have had reported failures with in the past were ;)

>  Do you use -O3 by default or is this also a decision made by the
>  user?

Default packages are all built with
CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=i686 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS=${CFLAGS}

This however is easily overridden in the general configuration, where
also some examples are avaiable. (architecture selection as well as
other flags.)

> No kidding. As long as we get some two way comminication this can only
> benefit both projects I think. We're always eager to get testers for
> the newest releases, but we need to keep the signal to noise ration at
> a workable level.

I quite agree, unfortunately signal:noise is sometimes boils down to
patience on various bugsquads, or failing that, user-reeducation,
something we perhaps could become better at.

Glad to have communication going in this issue  :-)

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!