Re: premature announcement: speech bridge

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 11:35:32PM AEST, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
as I mentioned earlier, I was working on a tool to bridge speech recognition
from Windows VM to drive a Linux environment. I now have something good
enough for plaintext dictation.  You can find it on git-hub
https://github.com/alsoeric/speechbridge

Nice work. I don't use dictation, but anything that helps in this area is awesome to see.

what I need to know is how to detect events such as focus changes, and
currently active window and application.  later on, it would be useful to
know how to operate on text areas (searching, selecting region etc.).

At-spi is likely your best bet here. You can either use libatspi or talk directly via dbus to the at-spi
registry daemon. Orca is a good example of a good at-spi client. The good news is that Qt supports at-spi
rather well these days, so Qt applications will likely be usable for dictation users as well.

Luke